Auditions for Christmas Belles by Jessie Jones, Nicholas Hope, and Jamie Wooten
Bowie Community Theatre announces auditions for “Christmas Belles” written by Jessie Jones, Nicholas Hope, and Jamie Wooten, and directed by Joe Thompson. Auditions will be held on Monday, September 21, and Tuesday, September 22, from 7:00pm – 9:30pm at the Bowie Playhouse, 16500 White Marsh Park Dr in Bowie MD (off of Route 3South between Routes 450 and 50). Call-backs, if needed, will be Thursday, September 24. Auditionees will be asked to do cold readers from the script and participate in an improvisation. Please bring any conflicts you have for October through December. The play opens December 4 and runs weekends through December 20.
A church Christmas program spins hilariously out of control in this Southern farce about squabbling sisters, family secrets, a surly Santa, a vengeful sheep and a reluctant Elvis impersonator. It’s Christmas time in the small town of Fayro, Texas, and the town not exactly in a festive mood. The hot-flash-suffering Honey Raye Futrelle is desperately trying to keep the Tabernacle of the Lamb’s Christmas Program from spiraling into chaos as the rest of the citizens of Fayro spin out of control. Things are not looking too promising. This hilarious holiday journey through a misadventure-filled Christmas Eve is guaranteed to shake the mistletoe and bring a smile to your face.
Character Descriptions: (4 adult men, 7 adult women)
- Miss Geneva Musgrave (60s) town florist -- the ousted director of the previous twenty-seven productions. She is upset about her demotion and is ruthless in her attempts to take over the show.
- Honey Raye Futrelle (50s) oldest Futrelle sister -- sexy, vivacious, go-getter. The hot-flash-suffering Honey Raye is desperately trying to keep the Tabernacle of the Lamb’s Christmas Program from spiraling into chaos.
- Gina Jo (G.J.) Duberly (20s) Frankie and Dub’s daughter – guileless and enthusiastic.
- John Curtis Buntner (40s) deputy sheriff.
- Twink Futrelle (40s) middle Futrelle sister. Twink, recently jilted and bitter about it, is in jail for inadvertently burning down half the town.
- Dub Dubberly (40s) Frankie’s husband. Dub, a long-suffering husband, is the celebrity guest Santa Claus and is passing a kidney stone.
- Frankie Futrelle Dubberly (40s) youngest Futrelle sister. A cranky Frankie is weeks overdue with her second set of twins.
- Rhonda Lynn Lampley (50s) manager of The Dairy Dog. Tends to be flashy and dresses in gaudy clothes.
- Justin Waverly (20-30) interim Pastor at the Tabernacle of the Lamb.
- Raynerd Chisum (40s) part-time employee at the Dairy Dog. A little “off”- pulls a little red wagon.
- Patsy Price (60s) local society matron. Believes she is the only one who can save the Christmas show.